Post #7 - GRQs & Discussion: Theater of the People
One of the discussions we have about the theater centered around what determines the difference between a musical and an opera. More specifically, if the Phantom of the Opera was a musical or not. First off we talked about the differences between operas and musicals. There were actually a few I did not know. I was not aware of the fact that opera doesn’t allow for the use of microphones whereas musicals rely on the use of microphones. I also didn’t know that operas prioritize music over the story, whereas musicals prioritize the story over the music. Keeping those in mind, I think it is safe to say that the Phantom of the Opera is a musical. More specifically, it is a musical about an opera, but not an opera.
GRQs
1) Greeks
2) Homer
3) the Illiad / Trojan War
4) areté
5) Homeric epic
6) Illiad / Odyssey
7) gods
8) inductive reasoning
9) Socrates
10) Plato
11) The Republic
12) the Allegory of the Cave
13) Dionysos
14) the satyr play
15) Greek comedies
16) Tragedies
17) death / dead
18) Thespis / thespian
19) protagonist / antagonist
20) Aeschylus, Sophocles, and Euripides
21) Dionysos
22) Aristotle
23) catharsis
24) Golden Mean
25) verisimilitude
26) "three unities"
27) universality
28) Intermezzi
29) opera
30) nobility
31) intermezzi
32) modernism
33) modernism
34) Wagner
Comments
Post a Comment